Senator Michael Opeyemi Bamidele who represents Ekiti Central, on Tuesday, emerged the Majority Leader of the 10th Senate.
He was announced by the Senate President, Godswill Akpabio, together with other principal officers of the Senate:
The list includes: Senator Dave Umahi from Ebonyi State as Deputy Senate Leader; Senator Ali Ndume from Borno State as Chief Whip, and Senator Lola Ashiru from Kwara State as Deputy Chief Whip
Here are twelve facts you may not have known about Opeyemi Bamidele:
1. Bamidele graduated with honours in 1986, from Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Religious Studies.
2. He also studied at the University of Benin, Edo State where he graduated with a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) Degree with honours, in 1990.
3. Bamidele was called to bar, as a full-fledged Barrister in 1992.
4. He also obtained a Master of Laws (LL.M) degree from the World-renowned Franklin Pierce Law Centre in the University of New Hampshire Law School, Concord, New Hampshire, USA.
5. Bamidele is an active member of the New York and Nigerian Bar, a Member of the American Bar Association and a Member of the International Bar Association.
6. In June 1992, he contested in the primary elections to the Federal House of Representatives representing Oshodi/Isolo Federal Constituency in Lagos State under the platform of Social Democratic Party.
7. In July 2000, he was appointed Senior Special Assistant on political and intergovernmental relations to the Lagos State government.
8. He served as Commissioner for Lagos Ministry of Youth, Sports and Social Development in former Governor Bola Tinubu’s administration.
9. He was elected as a member of the 7th National Assembly to represent Ekiti Central federal constituency 1, in April 2011.
10. He has been a member of the 7th, 8th and 9th National Assembly consecutively representing Ekiti Central at the Nigerian Senate.
11. He was one of the defence counsel, led by Chief Godwin Olusegun Kolawole Ajayi to the Moshood Abiola on his treason trial.
12. In October 2022, a Nigerian national honour of Commander Of The Order Of The Niger (CON) was conferred on him by President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.).