The Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party in the last presidential election, Atiku Abubakar has clarirified why he withdrew a motion before the Appeal Court, over a request to inspect electoral materials.
While speaking through a statement issued by him, the former vice president said that the Independent National Electoral Commission had already granted him access to inspect the material hence his withdrawal of the motion.
He noted that clarification was important, following insinuations and mischievous reporting of the withdrawal of the application for the Independent National Electoral Commission to grant access to his legal team and the PDP on the inspection of materials, used during the February 25 presidential election.
A report by the News Agency of Nigeria showed that, the appellate court had granted the request of PDP and Abubakar to be granted unfettered access to the INEC documents used for the presidential election.
He said, “On March 10, 2023, we filed a motion (number 12M) ex parte and affidavit of urgency to ensure the implementation of the court order.
“The court, however, asked that we put the president-elect, Sen. Bola Tinubu, the All Progressives Congress and the INEC on notice.
“Consequently, we filed a motion on notice (number 13M) and motion ex parte (number 13MA) for substituted service on Tinubu.”
According to NAN on Tuesday, at a conference meeting between lawyers of the PDP, LP, APC, and INEC, access was eventually granted to the legal team of PDP by INEC.
Alhaji Atiku said, when the matter came up for hearing on Wednesday, the legal team withdrew the two motions.
He stated further that, the motions were withdrawn because access had already been granted to him and his party on Tuesday.