Ahead of the 2023 General elections, the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof Mahmood Yakubu has stated that destroyed facilities of the commission would be replaced.
According to Vanguard, Yakubu said this at the commencement of an investigative hearing of the Ad-hoc Committee of the House of Representatives investigating the attacks on offices and the facilities of the commission on Friday in Abuja.
The House of Representatives committee also expressed its displeasure with the federation’s Attorney General’s office, which stated that it had not received any request for the prosecution of suspects responsible for the attacks on INEC offices.
Yakubu said, “We are determined and we will continue with our preparations for the 2023 general elections. So far, all the facilities would be rebuilt or alternatives found and materials would be replaced.
” However, should such attacks continue at the pace at which they are happening at the moment, the Commission may find it increasingly difficult to recover in time for the election. If it is about stopping the attacks, yes we can recover, but if the attacks continue, it would be very difficult for the commission to recover. That is why concerted efforts to stop these attacks have become imperative and we hope this public hearing would contribute to the required outcome.”
The INEC boss also charged security agencies across the nation to help safeguarding the commission facilities.
“The commission and security agencies must also continue to provide safety around the facilities and this, as I said earlier, may be very challenging, because the security agencies are also protecting all of us and other national assets.” He said.