The power struggle between two Sudanese generals and the ensuing violence erupted significantly on Saturday and Sunday, killing at least dozens of civilians and troops.
According to media sources, it is unclear who has the upper hand in the power struggle, with fighting intensifying around the Sudanese army’s general command in the capital Khartoum.
Also according to the World Health Organization, at least 83 people have killed and 1,126 have been injured in fierce fighting in Sudan between the army and the influential paramilitary group Rapid Support Forces.
As of Sunday, a Sudanese medical group said that 56 civilians and scores of military had been slain.
WHO reports that the city’s six million residents have overburdened the city’s healthcare facilities.
Three employees of the United Nations World Food Programme were among those slain on Saturday; the organization said on Sunday that it would no longer be providing help in the area as a result of the deaths.
In addition to the two WFP workers killed, the fighting between the army and paramilitaries injured two more WFP workers.
The WFP’s executive director, Cindy McCain, recently reported that help has been sent to the people of the North Darfur community of Kabkabiya.
She demanded “immediate steps” be taken to protect the remaining WFP employees in Sudan.
The actions spurred international calls for an immediate ceasefire and sparked worries of a civil war in the state of around 46 million people.