The defence chiefs of the West African bloc of the Economic of West African Countries, will be meeting again, next week, to discuss the possible intervention of the ECOWAS military troops in Niger Republic.
A Spokesperson of t.he ECOWAS, Amos Lungu disclosed this while speaking with Anadolu on Friday.
Lungu stated that the defence chiefs intend to meet, to discuss whether to use force against Niger’s military junta, which seized power through a coup that was staged by the country’s military group, since last month.
“ECOWAS defence chiefs plan a meeting next week,” said Amos Lungu.
This is coming after the bloc activated a standby force for possible military action to restore Niger’s ousted President Mohammed Bazoum.
ECOWAS issued the directive to its committee of defence chiefs at its second extraordinary summit in Nigeria’s capital Abuja on Thursday, August 10, 2023.
The bloc however said it would continue exploring diplomatic approaches to convince the coup leaders to return the country to constitutional administration.
ECOWAS bloc also resolved to sustain sanctions against Niger, until the coup leaders restored Bazoum.
However, Nigeria, the US, France, and the majority of African nations have also expressed support for ECOWAS’s efforts in resolving the crisis.
Nigeria, as a member of ECOWAS and Niger’s southern neighbour, which supplies 70% of the country’s power, had imposed sanctions by cutting off its supply of power to the country, in a bid to apply pressure on the junta.
Meanwhile, the coup plotters seem not to be deterred by all the threats and sanctions from different countries around the world, as well as the military intervention by the ECOWAS.