Site icon Premium Politics

Ibadan explosion: Makinde consoles victims’ families, promises assistance

Seyi Makinde

The Governor of Oyo state, Seyi Makinde, on Wednesday, expressed his condolences to the families of the victims of the explosion that rocked parts of the state capital on Tuesday night.

 

He said that the state was in mourning, as it lost lives and properties in the tragic incident.

 

Recall that, a massive explosion caused by the storage of explosives by illegal miners at a house on Oyelese street, Bodija, shook the city of Ibadan on Tuesday, killing several people and injuring many others.

 

The governor, addressing a press conference, monitored by our correspondent, after inspecting the scene of the explosion also assured the public that the security agencies, first responders, emergency services and all other relevant agencies were working diligently to carry out search and rescue operations.

 

He said that another individual was recovered alive from the rubble this morning, and that the operations would continue until all lives within the vicinity of the blast were accounted for.

 

He added that the state was aware that the blast had affected people as far as 35 kilometers away, both physically and psychologically, and that an emergency operation centre headed by Dr. Temitope Alonge had been set up to coordinate all search and rescue efforts. He appealed to the people of the state to remain calm and cooperate with the authorities, as they did everything possible to provide succor to everyone concerned.

 

He said, “… Our dear state thrown into mourning, as we lost lives and properties in a blast that occured at Bodija.

 

“As I stated in a brief early this morning, preliminary investigation has trace this blast to the storage of explosives by illegal miners at a house on Oyelese street, Bodija.

 

“Since yesterday, our security agencies, first responders, emergency services and all other relevant agencies have been working diligently as they carry out search and rescue operation. Just this morning, another individual was recovered alive from the rubble.

 

“I want to assure just like the emergency team members have validated, search and rescue operations will continue until all lives within the vicinity of the blast are accounted for.

 

“We are aware that apart from the immediate perimeter of the incident people as far as 35 kilometers away may have been affected physically and psychologically, we have, therefore, put the emergency operation centre which is being headed by Dr. Temitope Alonge, to coordinate all search and rescue efforts. I will like to appeal to our people as we do everything possible to provide succor to everyone concerned.”

 

Source: Juliet Buna

Exit mobile version