Contrary to some media reports, there is no agreement between Israel and Hamas to halt the fighting in Gaza for humanitarian purposes, both sides said on Monday.
The reports had claimed that a temporary truce would allow aid to enter the besieged enclave and foreigners to leave through the Rafah border crossing with Egypt.
However, in a post via the X handle of the office of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, a statement was issued denying any such deal.
It read, “The Prime Minister’s Office, this morning: There is no ceasefire.”
In a another statement reported by CBS, the Israeli PM said, “There is currently no ceasefire and humanitarian aid in Gaza in return for removing foreigners.”
Hamas, the Palestinian group that controls Gaza, also rejected the reports. Izzat El Reshiq, a senior Hamas official, wrote on Twitter that there was no truth to the claims about the opening of the Rafah crossing or a temporary ceasefire.
The fighting in Gaza has entered its ninth day, with more than 2,200 Palestinians and 1,300 Israelis killed so far.
The UN has warned of an impending humanitarian catastrophe in Gaza, where more than 400,000 people have been displaced by the Israeli bombardment. Israel has ordered 1.1 million people to move to southern Gaza within 24 hours, raising fears of a ground invasion.