Journalists have been reportedly barred from gaining access to the Court premises on Wednesday, to cover proceedings on the Kano State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal.
Premium Politics had earlier reported that the tribunal sitting in Kano, the capital city of the state, fixed Wednesday, September 20, to deliver judgment on a petition filed before it by the All Progressives Congress, APC, and its candidate in the March 18 governorship election in the state, Nasir Gawuna.
Gawuna had filed petitions before the court, challenging the victory of Abba Yusuf of the New Nigeria People Party, who was declared the winner of the election, by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.
However, as the court is set to deliver judgment on the petition filed by the APC and its candidate, reports revealed that some journalists who stormed the venue to monitor the proceeding were denied access to the court premises.
According to Daily Trust, the Kano State Commissioner of Police, Usaini Muhammed Gumel, stated that the court only permitted 50 people, to witness the proceedings.
He said “Since yesterday, we called the tribunal Secretary to hear arrangements for the sitting, where they informed us that only 50 people would be allowed in.
“The number includes the judges, lawyers of the two parties and their members, journalists and the media. So it is not the police that limited the number,” he said.